General Visit Visa

How can we help you?

There are four key areas with specified durations. Firstly you can enter on a standard visa for up to 6 months. You can also enter if you require private medical treatment, where entry can be up to 11 months. If you are coming in the UK as an academic conducting permitted activities entry can be up to 12 months.

The application process is that you would need:

  • tto complete an online application and pay the relevant fee
  • attend a visa application centre to provide your biometrics
  • provide supporting documents
  • have a valid travel document to travel
  • you would have to also show that you meet the suitability criteria requirements
  • illegible to enter in the UK as part of the desired route.

    UK Spouse/Unmarried Partner Visa

    If you require entry to the UK on the basis of your marriage or unmarried partner, we at
    Shawstone Associates can assist you right throughout the application process. You can apply to entry to the UK if you have a partner who is a British national and you are able to show that you meet the immigration rules and the criteria within it:

    You would need to demonstrate that:

    • both parties aged 18 of age or over when the application is made
    • your relationship is ‘genuine and subsisting’ and you intend to live permanently in the UK with your partner
    • your marriage or civil partnership is recognised by UK law
    • you will need to meet a salary and/or earnings requirement, currently £18,600 without dependents
    • you can support yourselves and any dependents you may have without claiming
      government benefits meet the suitability criteria requirements
    • you meet the English language requirement

    Fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa

    If you require a fiancé visa you would need to show:

    • You and your future spouse must be at least 18 years of age
    • You and your future spouse must have met each other
    • You and your future spouse must intend to live together on a permanent basis once married
    • You must show that any previous relationship that you or your partner were involved in has
      ended (whether it was as a married or an unmarried couple)
    • You and your future spouse must have enough funds to support yourselves (and any
      dependants) without claiming public funds
    • Your fiance must be earning a minimum of £18,600 per annum or have savings to be able to
      sponsor you. The level of this financial requirement will increase if you are also sponsoring
      children as dependants
    • You must have suitable accommodation available for you, your future spouse and any

    Having obtained a finance visa this would allow you entry for a period of 6 months. During the six months you would be required to give notice and get married in the UK. You can thereafter apply for a spouse visa. Upon completion of 5 years of spousal visa you can apply for indefinite leave to remain as long as you meet the spouse visa requirements.

    Shawstone Associates are specialist solicitors dealing with such matters and are able to provide you with the guidance and legal assistance required. Contact us today for an initial consultation and we can advise you on the requirements and evidence which needs to be before an entry clearance officer when making such applications.

    Parent of a child present and settled in the UK

    As the parent of a child who is living and settled in the UK you can apply to join them or make an application to settle whilst in the UK.

    The requirement are that;

    • The child be under 18 on the date you apply
    • have been under 18 when you first applied for the visa and not live an independent life
    • they’re a British citizen
    • they’ve settled in the UK (they have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or proof of permanent residence)
    • if you’re applying in the UK, they’ve lived in the UK for 7 years continuously and it would not be reasonable for them to leave.

    Need to show Parental Responsibility

    It is also important to show that you have sole or shared parental responsibility for your child.
    Where the child lives with another parent or carer you must show that you have access to the child by showing a court order.

    What is required from you:

    You must be able to prove that you’re taking an active role in your child’s upbringing and you plan to continue after you apply. We can discuss with you the evidence required to prove that you have an active role in the upbringing of your child.

    In addition you would need to show;

    • You have a knowledge of English
    • can financially support yourself and your child without claiming public funds

    where you are unable to meet the relevant criteria you may still be entitled to apply and it is highly recommended that you seek our advice and assistance on how you can make an application.

    Get in touch

    Get in contact with us today for a solution to all your immigration related problems. We are specialist immigration solicitors who can assist you with a range of applications. Contact us either by filling out our contact us page below, or you can telephone us and we will be able to offer you a suitable appointment. Either way where we are able to assist we can offer you a suitable appointment. We also offer legal advice and assistance through Legal Aid, therefore contact us to see if you are entitled for your case to be conducted via legal aid.